Malcolm Johnston invented Chicken Pickings® – the first product in a range of chicken treats/ feed supplements from Happy Hen Treats®.
Frustrated at not being able to get our hens in to their coop whenever we wanted and having to use a handful of layers mash or expensive human snacks, I came up with the concept of a safe, clean and convenient method of enticing chickens back in to their coop – a chicken treat that can be sold as a feed supplement and is nutritionally valuable for the chicken!
- 0.6% of UK households keep domestic fowl = approx. 150,000 households (the Daily Telegraph puts the figure at closer to 750,000)
- Estimates suggest a market for at least one million kg of Chicken Pickings®/ year
- Back yard / “urban” chickens – maybe 2-12 in number that are sometimes allowed to roam around the garden.
- Hobby chicken keepers for whom convenience and speed are important in their hectic lifestyles.
Selling points for the retailer:
- Zero rated for VAT. It is a chicken feed supplement not “pet food”.
- Attractive, handy tube dispenser is easy to handle, even for a child.
- No need to wash hands after use as hands never come into contact with the feed
- A novel gift for people to give to friends with back yard / “urban” chickens
The product is currently retailing at £3.50-3.99 per tube at various places so please call or email me for wholesale prices.
I currently have the dry ingredients mixed for me by a number of mills in East Anglia and then I add the meal worms, pack, label and distribute the product.
I run my own consultancy business called Re-Formation Associates Ltd. Until Happy Hen Treats® is established in the market, the brands are owned by my consultancy company and will be developed as part of my business portfolio. I am looking for retail outlets that are willing to at least take a trial batch of Chicken Pickings®in order to help me test the market.
A website is up and running and point of sale material will be developed following feedback from retailers and others. A campaign encompassing news releases and social media is in development.
Safe – Convenient – Clean